Your written assignment should be 1,400-1,600 words and will account for 45% of the overall mark
in the unit. The essay is due no later than 12 noon on February 26
th, 2020 and the title is as follows:
Please write a comparative research review comparing a research journal article with media articles
on the same theme. Within the comparative review you should focus on comparing and contrasting
the academic value and content of each. The topic chosen must relate to a topic on the course, from
either term. The academic research article chosen can be either from your reading list or another of
your own choosing. However, it must be a peer reviewed academic article (i.e., it must be from a
Essay guidelines and planning your essay:
1. In approaching this question it is important to first describe what the key findings and approaches
within each of your sources. However, be careful not to spend too much of the word count on this
descriptive part of the piece.
2. There will be a workshop dedicated to this assignment in the second week of teaching in term 2.
This workshop will include an opportunity to hear from your seminar tutor as to what we are
expecting in this assignment. It will also give you the opportunity to ask questions about the
3. I recommend that you map out an assignment plan for yourself with a structure in place. Write
down in bullet points for yourself what points you would like to put in each part. The main body of
the assignment may benefit from having sub-sections.
4. You will not be expected to cover all possible issues. Therefore, it is recommended that you focus
on 2-3 core points of comparison.
5. Your academic article should be compared to no more than 2 English language media articles.
6. Always evidence the points you make. While you will be comparing from your chosen sources the
best answers will include engagement with other sources, where relevant, as well.
7. Your essay must be typed. Please use 12 font and 1.5/double spacing.
8. Students are required to use either Harvard or APA referencing.